Types of vegetables
- Leaves 葉菜類
- Beans 豆莢類
- Stems 梗莖類
- Fruits 瓜果類
- Flowers 花菜類
- Roots 根莖類
- Bulbs 球莖類
- Tubers 塊莖類
- Fungi 菇菌類
- Pulses & nuts 乾豆果仁類
Importance in the diet
- Good source of vitamins.
- Contains a reasonable amount of carbohydrates.
- Calcium and iron are found in various vegetables like watercress, spinach.
Preparation of vegetables
- Peel it thinly and cut with a sharp knife.
- Prepare just before cooking
- Do not soak in water.
- Cook in minimum amount of boiling water in minimum time.
- Drain and serve immediately.
- Do not keep warm and reheat.
Effects of heat
- Reduce bulk and become more digestible.
- Some vegetables increase in bulk when they absorb water.
- Nutrients are destroyed by heat.
Choice of vegetables
- Damaged vegetables should be avoided.
- Leafy vegetables should be crispy and firm.
- Root vegetables should be free of spade marks.
Storage of vegetables
- Keep in a cook place in a plastic bag to prevent oxidation.
- Root vegetables should be stored in a cool, dark place.
- Use as soon as possible.