Piano Music in Romantic Period
- The piano is the most important of all musical instruments. It has a unique position among aolo and accompanying instruments.
- The piano became the most favorite instrument in the 19th century.
- Short pieces for the piano during this period were very popular.
Robert Schumann (German, 1810-1856)
- Schumann is a great German composer and music critic of the Romantic Period.
- Schumann's father was a bookseller and publisher.
- He grew up in a cultured atmosphere.
- Schumann studied law but he was more interested in music.
- His wife Clara was a gifted pianist.
- Clara was mainly responsible for popularizing Schumann's many piano compositions.
- Schumann wrote piano, vocal and orchestral music.
- He also wrote essays on music and musicians.
- At the age of 34, Schumann suffered a nervous break down.
- He began to show mental instability.
- He threw himself into the Rhine. Some fishermen rescued him.
- Schumann died two years later in an asylum.
- Schumann's piano piece 'Traumerei' (Dreaming) suggests a child in a world of dreams.
- It is rich in harmony and full of inner meaning.