Importance of meat
- Meat includes muscle and offal of the animals and offal of the animals and poultry.
- Meat is rich in complete proteins, fat, minerals and vitamins.
Structure of the meat
Cuts of meat
Age and amount of activity also affect the quality.
- Lean cuts come from muscles along the backbone.
- Tough cuts come from the parts are well exercised.
Cooking of meat
- Choose suitable cooking method according to the tenderness of the meat.
- Tough cuts of meat are lower in price and tender cuts are more expensive.
- Tender cuts are suitable for simple and fast cooking methods.
- Beat with a meat hammer or the back of a chopper.
- Add meat tenderizer.
- Add acid like lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add cornflour and egg white.
Effects of heat on meat
- Surface proteins coagulate and form a layer to keep the juice.
- Connective tissue is tenderized.
- If cooked in water, the meat changes in color from red to light brown. If cooked in dry method, the meat turns dark brown.
- The fat will melt and run out.
- Extractives containing flavor are squeezed out and give its special taste.
- If overcooked or cooked in too high the temperature, the meat losses juices, vitamins and becomes tough.
Use of frozen meat
To keep the nutrients of the frozen meat:
> As quick as possible
> As slow as possible
Tips for choosing meat
- Value for money
- Intended use